Sunday, June 14, 2009

Artificial Sweeteners and Weight Gain

Recent studies with rats indicate that the use of artificial sweeteners could actually cause weight gain because your body anticipates more calories than it is consuming, causing you to either eat more calories or maybe burn fewer calories.

I don't know the science, obviously, but from my own personal experience, I can't see it. I know it is not good for me (and I have cut back), but I drink diet soft drinks and use artificial sweeteners. It isn't even because of the calories. I just really like the taste. I have tried to use sugar or no sweeteners in tea (I put nothing in my coffee) but it just isn't the same. I don't enjoy it.

At the same time, there is nothing that will ruin a dark chocolate candy bar, an ice cream sundae or a piece of cake quicker than a diet soft drink. And when I'm enjoying an ice cold Diet Coke, I really do not want anything with tons of sugar calories. (Truth moment here: potato chips and French onion dip go GREAT with Diet Coke.)

There are lots of artificial foods out there that are not good for us and affect humans in unpredicted ways. So, while I am not discounting the studies, I'm not seeing it in my own experience.

For more information, go to this web site: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm.

No comments: