Friday, September 03, 2010

Second Friday Off

Today was my second Friday off in a row. I have tons of vacation days saved up and don't have any real travel plans, so I decided to take a few long weekends. Taking a day off like this makes me feel like I'm playing hooky. I love it!

Taking advantage of having nothing to do and nowhere to go, I decided to get in a 3-mile training walk. Because I had not walked to the library in a while -- and haven't even had a chance to try out the new sidewalks -- that's where I decided to go. The sky was a little dark and looked as if rain would come soon as I walked out the door.

It's exactly 1 mile from my front door to the library. As I turned on to Lane Road, I was excited to be able to walk on those brand new sidewalks and out of the streets. I always felt nervous on the street here, even though there is a "bike" lane marked. (I wasn't fond of walking in the front yards of the people who live on this road, either.) As I started the 1.2-mile loop around the park, I was just happy to have a day off and have the opportunity to be out walking in the morning. In fact, I felt so good that at the end of the lap, I decided to walk a second lap before heading back home.

I made it home in just a little more than an hour, a long time before the rains hit. I was very happy with the time considering I walked farther than 4 miles and I had to stop at three traffic lights.

Yes, it was another good Friday morning. I think I could get used to this.

No comments: