Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Having a Ball

I have wanted an exercise ball for a long time. I'm not sure what made me think I would actually use it - I have an exercise bike in the basement that gets dusted off once or twice a year and I have a "step" and videos that haven't been used in years.

Still, I bought a big silver rubber ball. I did try some exercises with it when I first bought it, but that lasted about a week. Everyone got tired of moving it out of the way as it sat in the middle the family room. Ever since, it has been sitting in the corner of my office silently nagging me about not being used.

This week I replaced my office chair with the ball. That was one of the initial purposes when I bought it, why wasn't I doing it? At first I felt kind of silly, but I decided I really like it. It's fun to roll around and bounce while I type.

I've used it for just a couple of hours at a time. And just those couple of hours have made my abs sore. I can feel myself sitting straighter and holding by back and stomach muscles tighter. I think it will make a difference in my ab strength. Not sure I would want to do this for 8 hours a day, but for a couple of hours here and there, it's great!

Plus, I am finally using a piece of exercise equipment other than my walking shoes.

No comments: