Monday, September 25, 2006

Taking it Slow

I've been resting my IT band and my knees for over a week. Racewalking (or attempting to racewalk in my case) aggravates the situation. Using the "Stick" to massage the area helps relieve the pain.

I really WANT to walk and today was one of those beautiful fall days that make it impossible to sit inside. So I went out to the bike path around the little lake to do a couple of laps. Because I had intended to avoid racewalking, I wore blue jeans. Not only is it impossible to go fast in jeans, it looks silly when you try.

Well, after two very easy miles, the IT band was beginning to feel sensitive. No pain, but it is sensitive to the touch. I stretched, I'll take some Ibuprofen before bed, and I'll even use the Stick. I'm irritated because it is irritated. I guess I'll have to break down and see my doctor. (Man I hate that!)

I'm sure it is from not training correctly. When you just do the long miles and not the weekday miles - well, you get injured.

Maybe, if I do it right, I can still do a half marathon or two before the end of the year.

No comments: