Saturday, January 19, 2008

6 miles Today

Bright and early this morning I met some members of the Buckeye Striders for the weekly group walk. Usually we meet, walk for an hour, then stop. Today some of the members are training for an upcoming half marathon, so they were starting ealy to get in 6 miles. I was there early (7:30 this morning!) to get in 6 also.

The temperature was about 25 degrees and the wind chill was around 11 degrees. The park we went to has a 1.25 mile loop and we did 5 laps. For the most part, I felt I dressed perfectly! Then we would round the loop and head straight into the wind and we would freeze for a few minutes. We turned the next loop out of the wind, and we would get too hot and start sweating. After sweating the cold wind felt even colder.

It is amazing to me how easy it is to work up a sweat even when it is so cold. Layering with wicking fabrics and a windproof jacket, something around the neck and lower face and a good hat or ear cover, and we were all comfortable.

If it was just left to me, I probably would not have gone early. As many of you know, I might not have made it at all. Luckily, Deb volunteered to drive, so I had a reason to be there. Actually, I had no excuse not to be there.

No comments: