Saturday, January 26, 2008

7 Miles Today

What a great day for a walk!

I met the Buckeye Striders at a park I had never been to that gave access to the great multi-purpose trails in Westerville (just outside Columbus). It was 22 degrees and the Weather Channel said the wind chill was 11 or 14 depending on what time we were watching.

There were about 9 of us who got on the trail at 7:30 and walked 3.5 miles out then turned around and went back.

Because of the wind chill, I ended up overdressed. I wore two wicking shirts, a fleece vest and my windproof jacket along with a pair of leggings and my thicker winter weight pants. I always wear my gator this time of year (I hate a cold neck!) and today I wore a knit cap and my fleece mittens that can open when my hands are too hot.

I did not feel cold when I got out of my car. Believe it or not, that is a bad sign. At that point I thought about taking off one layer, but it would have been tough to accomplish. The trail was VERY nice! It goes along a river and behind houses and apartments. In many places it has great trees all the way to the edge. Because of the houses and trees there was no wind. Because there was no wind, I got too hot pretty quickly.

Sections of the trail had light snow and patches of ice. We were not going particularly fast to be safe.

We all finished feeling great! It really was a great day for a walk with friends!

No comments: