Thursday, February 07, 2008

Knees - Ice is my Friend

I had planned to avoid writing about my knees, but I have a few extra minutes right now and, frankly, my knees are bothering me!

This is not a new problem. I have had weak knees most of my life. As my doctor says, I have "girl knees." Basically that means that, because my hips are wider than my knees, the angle puts pressure on them. My knee caps don't stay in place when the muscles around my knees are not strong. All I have to do is keep those muscles strong and my knees won't swell.

Sounds simple, doesn't it? But when there is no swelling, I don't think about working to protect them.

Anyway, the point is, when I up my mileage while training for long-distance events, it takes a while for my muscles to build up. I usually have a couple week period where they are uncomfortable and swell - I'm in the middle of that.

I felt so uncomfortable earlier today, I went to Wal-Mart to get an ice pack. It helped. Until I get through this I just have to remember - ice is my friend.

No comments: