Thursday, January 15, 2009

Walking in 6 Inches


Yesterday I couldn't wait to get outside while the big fluffy snowflakes were falling. I LOVE this type of snow! I like it even more when I'm not driving.

I was bundled up in layers in my winter coat with heavy boots because the temps were in the single digits. It looked as if many people in our neighborhood bought new snow blowers this year. There was lots of noise and several cleared sidewalks.

In one section the snow on the sidewalk was pretty deep, so I walked in the street in tire tracks. I went about 6 feet when I my feet went out from under me and I ended up on my butt in the middle of the street. As I was about to hit the ground I thought "This is really going to hurt." Luckily, I was somewhat jarred, but not harmed. Then again, I did land where I have the most padding!

I walked for about half an hour, which was plenty. The cold was starting to seep through my pants. If my legs weren't cold I probably would have stayed out a little longer.

Due to stressors, I have not been as diligent about walking as I had hoped this year. (Already!) But this beautiful winter walk was great for the mental health!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindi. We have had a lot of the fluffy stuff, too, here in Northwest OH. Having grown up in the south, I just don't do cold well. I walk the dogs down to the mailbox and back and that's about all I care to take. So off to the YMCA I go. I'm going to a Y I haven't been to before and was pleasantly surprised to discover that they have an indoor track with gradients that change as you go. So you walk a few feet slanted this way, and a few feet slanted that way. They also have an electronic arrow that changes direction every few minutes so you turn and walk the other way for a while. The track is also somewhat bumpy. The only down side is that it's not all that long. You have to go around 20 times to get a mile. Still, it feels good on the legs and is out of the cold and snow. I am using the treadmills a lot because I can get elevation and controlled speed with them, but hit the track here and there to get my terrain training. I'm looking for pockets of good weather so I can get outside but it looks like the cold will be here for a while.

Cherryanne