Saturday, June 05, 2010

Rainy Saturday -- But I Walked!

This morning it was raining pretty hard at 7 when I was supposed to leave the house to meet Deb. Elaine left me a message saying she was not going -- hail was expected. I started to head out to the park, but on the freeway the rain fell harder and I decided to return home. Around 8 the rain was lighter and I started to feel guilty for not going. Two weeks in a row I missed walking because of heavy rain that magically stopped after I decided not to walk.

In the meantime, I ran some errands and the rain came and went. Finally around 2, I dropped my son off at the gym and went to Antrim Park with the plan to do 3 laps for about 3.6 miles. It was sprinkling on my way, and I almost turned around but I decided I could walk through it. Besides, I had one of my water-resistant jackets with me.

As soon as I reached the park the rain stopped. After the second lap I felt so good I decided right there that I would do 4. I was pretty inconsistent when it came to speed: 17:51, 17:08, 17:20,17:29. I walked a 14:16 mile and I didn't even realize it! I didn't feel fast at all. (The fact I desperately needed to stop at the Port-a-john after mile 2 probably made me faster.)

I really enjoyed the walk and I think part of the reason is that it wasn't scheduled. I did it because I wanted to, not because I had to. Maybe that is what I need to get past my burn out -- walking because I want to.

No comments: