Sunday, December 04, 2005

Beginnings

We just sent the fourth issue of WALK! Magazine to the printer. I look back at everything we accomplished this year and I'm very proud. At the same time I'm struck by the exciting new beginnings we have in the works.

First, I just started this Blog! The reactions from readers will be interesting!

We have just agreed to help John Bingham Racing develop a walking division for both their Columbus Distance Classic and the Arizona Distance Classic half marathons! This should be a great opportunity for us to be seen more nationally.

I have also agreed to help the local Fleet Feet store train walkers to finish the Columbus Distance Classic. The store has a great training program already in place and helped many athletes prepare for the Columbus Marathon this year. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first time they have had a walking coach. I'm very excited!

We are talking to some Team in Training groups to see how we can help their fundraising and support their walking athletes. Team in Training helped me through my first ever half marathon over five years ago. It's a great organization.

We are planning a reader survey. Access to the survey will be available in mid-December from our web site. A survey is the only way we can effectively plan what our readers want.

Finally, we are planning to hire outside help for advertising. We are already represented by Shooting Star Media for national shoe advertising, but we need someone to handle the rest. Without advertising dollars, we cannot afford to publish. This position will be key for us.

I'm glad we are nearly done with our first year of publishing. It has been a stressful and rewarding first year. Even with 20 years of publishing experience I am learning a LOT! And the people I have met along the way have been fantastic!

I am look forward to many great things ahead for us, and this is just the beginning.


No comments: