Monday, August 07, 2006

6 Miles

I finally got my 6-mile walk in today - two days after it was scheduled. Unfortunately, I overslept this morning, so I got out much later than I had expected. I drove 30 min to get to the park with the 4-mile loop and about half shade. It also has a couple good-sized hills - I've been doing too many flat training routes lately.

It was a little tougher than I had expected. I had not walked 6 miles in a few months, it's hot out and there are hills. I have to remind myself that as you build distance, the long walks are always a little tougher the first time. I know after I've done 8 or 10 miles, 6 will be a piece of cake again.

Regardless, it feels good to be working on building distance again. I can feel my body getting stronger and healthier. This is why I do it and this is exactly why I miss it so much when I don't get to walk. This really was a good workout.

PS: I have been actively trying to maintain some sort of racewalking form for all of my workouts. As soon as I feel myself "plodding", I focus on placing my feet correctly and rolling them. I'm still waiting for it to always be natural.

No comments: