Saturday, August 05, 2006

Unintentional Crosstraining

The Leeman side of our family spent the entire day at a local water park yesterday. A bunch of us climbed the steps to the top of the highest water slides over and over and over and over... Half the time, I climbed those stairs carrying a huge inner tube. As soon as we got to the bottom, we would jump out of the water and climb to the top again. What a great workout!

As the day wore on, my legs would start to burn as I got partway up the stairs. When the line was short, I'd push as hard as I could as long as I could. When the line was long I was able to climb at a slow pace, resting every few steps.

Since my sister-in-law and I had walked 3.5 miles earlier that morning, I expected to feel sore and tired today. I was pleasantly surprised to be pain free though my legs are feeling more tired as the day goes on.

A 6-mile training walk is scheduled for this weekend, and I had originally planned to do it today. After all of those stairs, today has become a much needed day of rest.

The morning will determine whether that 6-miles happens tomorrow or not.

No comments: