Saturday, May 09, 2009

Air Force Half Marathon Is Walker Friendly

Today I registered for the Air Force Half Marathon September 19. It's been a few years since I've been to this event and I'm pretty excited.

The cool thing is the half marathon is open for 6 hours! Even the slowest walkers I know can do that. In addition, there have been some changes to the half marathon course which make it a little less hilly. Though the overall course is flat, there are these pretty intense hills at the beginning which you used to hit again on return. Not any more!

I was surprised that the half marathon start is an hour after the full marathon. It's great for people like me who like to sleep in a little, but my early bird friends are a little worried about whether it will be hot when we finish.

The full marathon is open for 7 hours, down from 8. But that is still OK.

Here is another cool thing: the race offers women's shirt sizes!!! Woo hoo! The only problem is, I'm not sure what size I should order. (At least at the Big Sur race they let everyone know their shirts ran small.) I'm assuming the shirts are cotton, but what if they aren't? So here I finally have what I want, and I don't know what to do.

I ended up ordering a medium assuming it would be safe if it is a little large, but would not be if it is a little small.

The cost is $50 until June 1, so I would register early. Check out the web site for more information http://www.usafmarathon.com/

1 comment:

Dixie said...

Sounds like fun. If I wasn't going to Myrtle Beach with my hubby I'd join you. Maybe next year.