Thursday, July 01, 2010

Which Diet is Best?

I go nuts when I read posts on diet web sites stating the entire reason people are fat is because of -- carbohydrates. Really? Just carbohydrates!

Because I can think for myself, I know simply reducing carbs is not the answer. However, many people are so brainwashed to believe they need a low-carb diet, they don't want to hear anything common sense.

Thank goodness every once in a while you find an article that backs up common sense. On Yahoo Health I found "Diet Type or Calories Lost: What's Best for Weight Loss?" (http://health.yahoo.net/experts/weightloss/diet-type-or-calories-lost-whats-best-weight-loss)

The article summarizes a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that compared diet plans to determine what is the most important factor for losing weight. All plans encouraged 90-min of exercise, a calorie limit of 1200 a day, and counseling every 8 weeks.

The result? "Regardless of which diet the subjects were on, their weight loss and decreases in waist circumference were the same for all four groups."

And "As long as your diet is balanced and healthy overall, you can lose weight and keep a good amount of it off if you watch the calories."

I know it is not rocket science, but it needs repeating -- it's all about calories in and calories out.

No comments: