Monday, April 02, 2007

Printer Problems - Same Story Different Printer

I don't know what it is about WALK! Magazine and printers. I have been in the publishing industry since the early 80s. Yes, I have occasionally had a problem with a printer. However, over the last two years, I have had more problems with printers producing WALK! Magazine than I would expect! I am beginning to wonder if it is because we are a small publication. Maybe they feel they can push us around.

I don't understand giving a delivery date and not coming close to meeting it! What is worse is missing a deadline and not even telling the customer! Well, that is what happened with the Spring issue.

Getting the Spring issue to the printer in time to mail in April was more difficult than usual because of a death in the family earlier in the year.(It takes a few months to get an issue together.) When I submitted the files, I was assured the magazine would mail on March 22. I won't go into the gory details, but I will tell you the magazine mailed on March 30!

I'm not quite sure what is going to happen. I can't continue working with a printer that cannot meet a deadline and will not keep me informed. (I just dropped one who had that problem.) However, I know I'll never get consistency if I switch printers with every issue.

In the meantime, I will do the best I can to make these companies at least TRY to keep the deadlines they set.

No comments: