Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Fat March - Did You Watch?

Did anyone watch Fat March on TV last night?

If not, here is the premise: A bunch of morbidly obese people must walk over 500 miles to Washington, D.C. in a set amount of time in order to receive $100,000 a piece. For each person who quits, each remaining person's prize total is reduced by $10,000.

These are not just heavy people, one of these guys is over 500 lbs!

I watched because, well I had to. Not only because I also gawk at car wrecks, but because it is about walking. I wanted to see what they would do to these people.

Part of my opinion comes from remembering how hard it was for me to work up to 8 miles when training for my first marathon. And I'm only about 5 lbs too heavy!

OK, these people started at the actual Boston Marathon and walked 5 miles. The second day, they were walking 8 miles! These are hugely unfit people! Granted, it looked as if they had a long time to do it in, but 8 miles is 8 miles. Third day - 8 miles again.

Some former rap diva barely made it two days. I think she was there for drama. One guy was sent to the ER for labored breathing - he ended up being OK. Another guy had horrible blisters and thought he might have stress fractures. He was voted off the show.

At the end of the first show everyone was weighed, though it did not look like they were wearing the same clothes. Several of the women lost fewer than 10 lbs, and were disappointed. I didn't think it was unreasonable. They are building muscle while burning fat - plus not the same clothes.

So, did anyone else watch the show? What did you think?

No comments: