Thursday, June 12, 2008

Inspired by Speedo Man

About 7 years ago some friends and I started eating the occasional lunch at a local park near a river. There are tons of picnic tables and it is a popular lunch spot, especially in the Spring.

During one of those early lunches we noticed a tall, slender, white-haired gentleman jogging. What made the gentleman memorable was that he wore just a red, white and blue Speedo and running shoes. He ran one way down the park out of view then turned around and came back. Needless to say, from that day forward we dubbed him the "Speedo man."

Over the years, regardless of the time of year, the Speedo man would appear like clockwork. In the Spring and Fall when the temps are cooler, he wears long pants and jackets, but once it gets warm it is just the Speedo. A couple of years ago he traded in his patriotic attire for a solid green Speedo, and this week he was wearing a yellow one.

When I first saw him 7 years ago, I estimated he was in his 70s. He doesn't appear to have aged a day in that time, and his weight looks the same. This week he did seem to shuffle his feet a little more, and he walked part of the way, but the temps were unusually high that day. I'm assuming he was just being cautious.

Not once have I talked to this man and I have no idea what his name is. I don't know where he starts or how far he runs. Yet, I find him inspiring. There he is -- jogging every day and still looking fit.

Many of us are good at finding excuses to skip a workout: it's too hot, it's too cold, I don't have time, I can't find anyone to walk with... I have to believe Speedo man doesn't do that.

So, the next time you are tempted to skip your scheduled walk because it is too hot, think about that 70-year-old man running in the park every single day around lunch time. Then put on your shoes and head out the door -- the Speedo is optional.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

What a great story! Thanks for the inspiration :).