Friday, June 20, 2008

Promax 70


I'm not a big fan a energy bars, meal replacement bars and drinks, etc. I would rather have an apple, a salad or even a small hamburger than some chemical-induced meal replacement bar that is no better than a 50 cent candy bar and will leave me hungry in a hour.

With that in mind, I will tell you that I kind of like the Promax 70 bars. <www.promaxnutrition.net/products/promax-70-calorie-bars/> They are labeled as a "high energy snack bar", and have only 70 calories each. (Hence the name.) They are about two bites and the perfect size for a small snack to hold you over til your next meal. I ate one at about 10 a.m. (I was starving), and I was good until 12:30 p.m.! I normally eat fruit at that time of day, but was in a meeting that prevented that type of snacking. One bar was just enough!

I like the fact these bars are not super sweet like lots of these types of products. The nutrition it provides seems reasonable. (I'm not a dietitian.)

The flavors are cookies n cream, double fudge brownie and nutty butter crisp. The nutty butter crisp was my favorite.

Here is what I DON'T like. The label says it is "all natural." I don't have the legal definition of all natural in front of me, but how can a product that contains hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, l-glutamine, and calcium caseinate be natural?

There are many knowledgeable people who say that if you cannot understand the ingredient list, you shouldn't eat the food. If you are one of these people, don't buy this product.

However, if you like the convenience of an occasional energy bar, and want just a few bites of one, the Promax 70 is a good choice. I'm planning to keep a few in my gym bag for an emergency snack.
___________________________

The full-sized Promax bar is 2.64 oz., has 290 calories with 60 from fat.

No comments: