Monday, March 16, 2009

4-Miles Under the St. Louis Arch!

I am in St. Louis for a few days for business meetings. Usually when I'm traveling for this job, it is a full day of meetings with maybe a 1-hour break in the middle. (Working lunches.) Today, for some odd reason, I had a 3-hour gap starting around 1 p.m.! Woo hoo!

I ran to my room (I actually walked very quickly), threw on some workout clothes and went across the street to the park where the St. Louis arch is located. It is a beautiful day and a beautiful location! The sun is shining and it is comfortably warm.

Unfortunately, I walked from one end of the park to the other pretty quickly. I needed 4 miles and I've been averaging about a 15-min mile the last week or two. As much as I like this location, it was going to get boring. So, I went down some huge stairs to the Mississippi River and walked on the sidewalk beside the river. Not nearly as pretty, but it was VERY cool to be beside the river and watch the barges!

I went north as far as the gambling riverboat, turned south until I reached the end of the sidewalk, ran up and down the stairs a couple of times, did one more loop around the park and called it a day.

I went the wrong way to my hotel and ended up walking nearly all the way around the block and past Busch Stadium, but it was a nice cool down. I had purchased a bottle of water from a vendor by the river, so the added steps were not a big deal.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get in any miles on Tuesday. My schedule is much tighter. I also have new blisters that are annoying! But at the very least, I'll be able to get in 4 more miles before flying out on Wednesday.

No comments: