Monday, April 13, 2009

Food Review -- Panera Greek Salad

I'm picky about restaurant salads. The greens must be green and there must be enough stuff on it to make it worth eating, yet toppings should not all be garbage.

I recently went to Panera for their salmon salad that was a seasonal menu item. Unfortunately, they will not be bringing it back, so I tried the Greek salad. What a disappointment!

The salad had Romaine lettuce, Kalamata olives, red onion, feta, pepperoncini (I love them!), tomatoes and their own Greek salad dressing. That sounds delicious, doesn't it?

On the good side, the ingredients are all quality, the dressing was tasty and the entire salad was only 440 calories. The problem is, besides the Romaine, there was not much of anything on the salad. Four small pieces of tomato, a few sprinkles of Feta, a couple of olives... Basically, it was a bowl of lettuce, which might explain the low calorie count.

Being the "quiet" person I am, I immediately sent an e-mail to Panera explaining my dissatisfaction with the salad. I received a canned e-mail response saying they were sorry for my disappointment and offered a gift card. That was very nice and I accepted the free lunch. Still, they did not admit there was anything wrong with the salad.

Despite my not liking this salad, I like the fact that Panera responded to my complaint very quickly. Yes, I'll go back, but I probably won't order a salad.

No comments: