Monday, April 19, 2010

I Have my Limits

I try to encourage people to walk for exercise. I get excited when I see fairly new walkers just starting an exercise program. I know how hard it is to get started and stick with it. Good for them!

It is especially cool when you see someone pushing a stroller or even a whole family out for a walk. If the kids get used to it when they need to ride, they will love it once they can walk.

However, I have limits.

Today I was out for an easy 2+ mile recovery walk around Antrim Lake. In that second lap I came up behind a woman with a stroller. I was thinking: good for you being out here walking with your kid!

As I got closer I noticed she had something in her hand and it dawned on me -- she was smoking. Really? You are out for a walk in the fresh air, and you are smoking? With your kid? It's not something you see a lot of on an exercise trail!

People who know me know I have serious issues with smoking. Three of my grandparents died of emphysema, my mom died of complications from COPD and emphysema. I have no patience for it -- especially around kids!

Though I had that first intense anger at this woman, I do have to remember she was out walking. She was getting exercise. The more she moves, the more likely it is that she will get healthier and she will find the strength to quit smoking.

I can only hope. And if I see her again, I will try to say something encouraging to her.

No comments: