Thursday, August 12, 2010

Clif Crunch -- Delicious!


Because I don't like to eat breakfast, I have become a granola bar connoisseur. Don't get me wrong -- I don't eat candy bars that pretend to be granola bars. I'm pretty picky about the quality of the bars I eat.

With this love of healthy granola bars, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to try the Clif Crunch -- a new granola bar by Clif Bar and Company.

The honey oat bar I received from Clif is 70% organic and features whole grains. Instead of high fructose corn syrup, it is sweetened with evaporated cane juice. (I thought this was just a fancy way to say "sugar" but apparently I was wrong. There are health benefits to ECJ.)

I'm not a dietitian, but from looking at the label I'm impressed! All of the ingredients look great! And when I compared the Nutrition Facts with the Kashi Crunchy Honey Toasted 7 Grain bars I usually eat, they are pretty similar.
                      Clif               Kashi
Calories          180               170
Total Fat          7 g                 5 g
Trans Fat         0 g                0 g
Total Carbs    27 g              26 g 
Protein             4 g                6 g   
Fiber                5 g                4 g               

The biggest difference is the Clif product is 70% organic and this particular Kashi product is not. Other than that, the Clif bar is extremely light and a crispy crunchy whereas the Kashi bar is a heavier crunchy. (I'm not sure I am explaining that well.)

At my local store, the Kashi bars are under $3.00 for a box of six. Online, the Clif bars are $3.49 for a box of five. I have not found them locally yet.

So, I'm excited that Clif is now making a great-tasting healthy granola bar! It's a great addition to an already great product line!

No comments: