Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Back on Track

Realizing I'm fewer than 10 weeks away from the Country Music Marathon caused me to take things a little more seriously this week.

Sunday was a long walk, yesterday was a day of rest and today I needed to get in either 3 miles or 45 min. I had errands to run in the early evening and did not get home until after 7 p.m. By the time I ate a quick salad and put on my favorite shoes, it was 8:15. ARGH! It's too dark to really go anywhere, so I opted for 45 min. in the neighborhood.

I have not tried anything close to racewalking form since before winter. Today, with my favorite light, flexible walking shoes, I walked with my heel hitting the ground and rolling my feet. It felt great! I tried to bring my arms back all the way, but I was a little too bundled to be effective.

Though it was in the 40s earlier today, it is below freezing now and a lot of the water puddles have started to freeze over. I had a flashlight so I could tell what was ice. A lot of the sidewalks still had huge patches of snow and ice, so I spent a lot of time in the streets, which were pretty clear. I'm proud to say I had no wipe outs!

After today I realized I will have to start strengthening my ankles and shins. They have not been worked like this in a long time. I also have to work on my upper body strength to get over the shoulder injury I had last year. (I'm still not recovered.)

Considering the obstacles, I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish today! And I'm glad to be out walking without needing boots.

No comments: