Friday, July 03, 2009

Walking Farther than Planned

Though not scheduled to walk today, I just felt like it. So after catching up on much-needed sleep, I went to Antrim Park with the intention of doing two laps around the lake. I'm entered in a 5K race tomorrow and didn't want to overdo it.

The temperature was 68 degrees according to my car, there was a great breeze and the sky was overcast. I hate to admit it, but it was almost chilly when the wind blew. (No Larry, I did NOT take a jacket.)

There was a nice crowd today! I assume that many others had the day off, just like me.

I did the first two laps at a moderate pace, just enjoying being there and moving. It felt so great that at the end, I just had to do another lap. Because I had not worked hard enough for the first two, I picked up the pace and really sprinted for the last 1/4 lap. Though I didn't want to overdo it the day before a race, I really felt the need to work harder.

Not positive how fast I was (my sport watches all need batteries). At first I thought I was about 48 min for the entire 3 laps, but that would put me at about a 14-min mile. That seems unlikely for the level of stress I felt.

I feel great! I stretched well after the walk and even did crunches on a bench before heading home. I think I'll be ready for tomorrow's race. I'm going to kick butt!

No comments: