Sunday, January 03, 2010

A Frigid Walk Today


Because I'm starting to train for the Arizona Distance Classic in March, I needed to get a 4-mile walk in this weekend. Because I walked for only 30 min. yesterday, I decided to go to Antrim Park today.

The moment I got out of the car, I was happy with my decision. Though it was colder than yesterday, the lake was beautiful! The sun was shining, there was more of a breeze than I'd like, there was snow on the ground and tons of footprints! It seems that lots of other people had been there earlier in the day.

I wore two technical shirts, a fleece vest, winter coat (old and ugly), gaiter for my neck, knit hat, big thick suede mittens (very warm), hiking boots and jeans. Unfortunately, I wore only one layer on my legs and probably could have used a pair of long underwear or leggings under the jeans.

After my first loop around the lake I almost quit. To be honest, I was COLD! My face and legs were freezing! Though the rest of me was warm, I had to hold my mittens to my face to protect it from the breeze.

Then I thought about being in Tucson in March and knew I had to get in at least two more laps. I sucked it up and finished. And the longer I walked the warmer my legs felt. (Then again, doesn't the skin start to feel warm after frostbite has taken hold?)

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and I am thrilled that I was outside to enjoy it!

No comments: