Saturday, January 30, 2010

Walked Inside Today

I don't belong to any type of fitness club. So my access to weights, exercise equipment and an indoor track are severely limited.

On days like today, when the temps were in the teens, it was nice to take advantage of the fact that other members of the Buckeye Striders do have access to indoor tracks. Today we were at the Capital University in Bexley.

The track is about an eighth of a mile and the track surface is somewhat soft. It's a really nice switch on a day like today.

The other thing I like is that it is much easier to walk with a variety of different members of the club when we are on a track. People will speed up or slow down to walk a couple of laps with someone. When we are outside on a trail, we all tend to walk with the same people every week -- we naturally break up based on pace.

I tried to walk harder than I usually do, but didn't even attempt to figure out how far I went. I was not planning to walk in the same lane every lap, so I didn't count them. When I was with people who are faster than I am, I'd walk closer to the inside lane. When with people who are a little slower than I am, I took a lane more toward the outside.

As we got close to when we had to leave, I sprinted as hard as I could for the last lap. Though my heart rate was hovering around 144 throughout most of the workout, I was able to get it up to 177 during the sprint. I'm thinking that might be closer to my maximum heart rate.

It was a good morning for walking and I really appreciated that in January we could walk and be warm!
________

Photo by Yali Shi.

No comments: