Wednesday, February 24, 2010

More Heart Rate Monitor Questions

I recently purchased the book Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot by John L. Parker, Jr.

By following the instructions in the book, I have determined that my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm. While walking, I have been able to get my heart rate up in the high 170s and low 180s, so it made sense.

Today, while not walking especially hard, my average heart rate was 184 and my peak heart rate was 217. Though we threw in a hill, and I was a little tired, I was far from exhausted. I barely even felt my heart beating.

So my concern now is: Is there really something wrong with my heart rate monitor? And if not, why would my heart rate suddenly go up over 200 today, but not on previous days?

It might be a good time to take it back to the running store and have someone check it out for me.

2 comments:

jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel said...

I don't know anything about heart monitors yet but I have been thinking I need to start looking at them.

What kind do you use? What features do I look for?

I am currently doing 2 miles a day with a goal of training and increasing speed, distance, and stamina to do a half marathon walk AND the Barefoot Mailman (a 2-day 33 mile camping overnight scout hike in FL) in 2011...and of course to get fit!!!

Cindi said...

Jewel,

I bought a low-end Timex HR monitor because it was recommended as super easy to use. It is pretty easy to use. So for me ease of use was most important. Second, I needed enough laps that I can do a race and mark as many miles as I want.

I wish I had looked at memory. This one does not have memory, meaning I can't store different workouts. It will just keep the most current workout until I use it again.

Also, it would be nice to be able to download the information to my computer. I didn't think I would use it, but since I don't have it, I wish I did.

I have friends who have tons more features than the ones I mentioned, but I just don't need one that complicated to use.

Good luck with your training! The half marathon is my favorite distance. You'll love it!

Cindi